Re: shocked into silence?

From: Gordon Wells (gwells@cats.ucsc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 21:15:04 PDT

I am fortunate in being able to receive the BBC World Service on my
radio. This afternoon, by chance, I heard Noam Chomsky asking some
very pointed questions about the US willingness to meet
international standards of legality in dealing with (9/11) criminal
activity. Then a few hours later I listened to Bush's address to the
nation. What disturbed me was his claim that Americans value all
life, whereas our enemies are willing to kill innocent men, women and
children. But what he forgot to mention is that in Afghanistan - as
in all wars using weapons of indescriminate lethal power - many
innocent people are killed. How many "innocent" Iraquis will be
unfortunate side-effect victims if his declared aim to topple the
current Iraqui political regime is to be the next target of his "war
on terrorism"?

--
Gordon Wells
UC Santa Cruz.