Re: chatting

From: Elina Lampert-Shepel (ellampert@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 10:44:08 PDT

Mike-
Thanks for the information. I will try my best with Boris and will contact Pentti Hakarainen . Please excuse my ignorance, what is JREEP?
I agree, we have plenty materials : as my experience with pretty advanced Columbia graduate students show, they are not that easy to grasp . I would still emphasize the importance of the approach to teaching this course. Traditional academic approaches will not be effective from my point of view. Activity is internalized through inquiry-based activity, isn't it? That's the most powerful way known to me to become a subject (agent?) of professional learning activity.
I doubt that was Baba Yaga's saying; it sounds more like a slogan from the American management training rather than the text from Russian fairy tale. Just kidding.
Elina

 Mike Cole wrote:Elina--
Pentti Hakarainen is doing a super job with JREEP which translates good new
stuff. Boris Danielovich (or you!) could send Pentti materials for translation
and voila, we have it.

As important as new materials are, there are already existing materials in
several languages sufficient for a decent first step curriculum. After all,
we we did this for only one period a year (leaving time for other activities
people are intrested in) we have enough materials on hand for a good time to
come, with Russian, English, Spanish, and Japanese as likely languages where
originals have been translated back and forth.

In addition to identifying textual materials, those interested need to
look into locally effective ways to get get credit that matters to them.

As Stuart Little reminds us (or was it Baba Yaga?) never put off til tomorrow
what you can do today.
mike

"To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail."
              M.Postman Conscientious Objections,1988, p.33
Elina Lampert-Shepel
Chairperson, General Education Department
Globe Institute of Technology, 2nd floor
New York, NY 10007
212 349 4330 ext. 114 (w)