rising to the concrete

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 16:49:51 PDT

Thanks for the clarification, Kevin.

I, too, often wish for more extensive/new/compelling examples of RESULTS
from the work we are referring to globally as motivated by a chat perspective.
Your message, in the context I received it, was hard to interpret in the
way the longer explication is not.

The question, speaking for myself at this moment, is one of time to do
the collective example gathering you are asking for. I think it would be
a real service to all, and perhaps making it a collective effort would
reduce the burden on any one of us.

For example, what if everyone on the list were to give one favorite example
of a piece of research motivated by chat ideas that they like. With reference.

Easy to collect those up, especiallly if the subject line always reads:
"my favorite" or some such term, and then look at the lot.

As an editor of MCA I worry a lot about the level of confusion over basic
concepts (including my own confusions). One that especially concerns me
is the ubiquitous tendency to equate action and activity, goal and motive.
Maybe we need a second list, "most worrisome confusions."

I am going to go quiet on this topic for a while to see if others wish
to speak up and be heard, and hoping they do.
mike