extending mentoring activities/ AERA -- CH-SIG

From: Judy Diamondstone (judith.diamondstone@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 12:41:26 PDT

Mike wrote:
... Judy who is en route to a new locale....

Clarification -- Not until the end of the month! (I had said I was packing
boxes...)

In my first note, I mentioned, as one idea for reaching out to students at
AERA, devoting one session slot to graduate student presentations.
        Any comments?
It would require an ongoing commitment on the part of enough mentors to
guarantee a mentor presence at the panel, every year.
It would also mean one less session slot open to general membership.

This outreach effort would have to be planned at Chicago & piloted the
following year.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Mike suggested that we organize an informal, non-affiliated, pre-AERA
session for interested graduate students on a relevant theme -- this seems
like a great idea, & if it's non-affiliated, we could even set something up
for the upcoming meetings in Chicago. Mike suggested several downtown
locations where we could probably meet for free.

His suggestion for a topic this year was 'language and activity.'

Other suggestions are welcome!

Whatever the topic we choose, we need oldtimers who are willing to devote
the afternoon before AERA begins to conducting the session (as a workshop, I
presume).

NOTE that these are 2 different ideas, with different dialogical vectors
(mentee-initiated topics vs mentor-initiated topics). It would be useful to
learn if there is wider interest in either one.