re double hmmmm + a huh!?!

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 07:44:17 PDT

Judy-- I am simply flumuxed by your note. I wrote
 I would deeply regret
> restricting
> the suggestions to AERA.

You ask: Mike, am I understanding you correctly, that you think it's not wise to use
the AERA venues for mentoring because mentoring should not be _restricted_
to AERA?

How in the world did you get from the first to the second statement?

OF COURSE I think that mentoring activities in AERA are a good idea! The
more the better--- for all parties. The so called experts and the so called
novices can only benefit.

But I would regret RESTRICTING our efforts at mentoring to AERA, at least
so far as XMCA is concerned.

All I can imagine is that since you are operating in an official AERA sig
capacity, but, quite correctly, posting to both the sig and xmca, that the
segment of xmca which does not take AERA concerns as its central focus
snuck behind your back.

As to the form(s) of non-during-AERA-meeting mentoring, the possibilities
are multiple. However, so far as I can tell there is not critical mass of
interest in such activities, so the issue remains moot until there is.

If I am still being unclear, give me a call after 12 your time at 858-534-4590
or send me a note telling me where to call you and we can discuss.
mike