Re: difficult working conditions

From: mkdtostes (mktostes@uol.com.br)
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 07:21:07 PDT

Dear Mike,

thanks a lot for your support! And thanks to all the people who contribute
to keep this discussion list running. I'm starting my readings on Vygotsky
and I'm not very familiar with AT but I have already found a lot of material
that you people (from ?XMCA and MCA) made available through the Internet
which will help me a lot. It seems to me that CHAT will help me understand
and hopefully explain and answer some of my questions. Unfortunately, I will
not be able to address those issues in my master's dissertation whose focus
is on the role of the mother tongue in foreign language acquisition. This is
due to the course constraints - Applied Linguistics in Mother Tongue, not
foreign languages, so we had to make a connection between both of them.

What intrigues me though is that my 'subject', who is my daughter, has
learned very little English in classroom contexts. And we don't speak
English at home, only in some rare occasions. But she has been able to learn
many things watching TV programs, chatting on the Internet, reading things
of interest on the net, playing games. My assumption is that by being
engaged in social and literate (sp??) activities or maybe in things that are
of interest and relevant to her, she has been able to learn. That also
brings the question of the mediational tools... Uhm... I guess I need some
thinking on that....
Thanks again Mike and XMCArs,

Karin Quast
mktostes@uol.com.br