Re: inspired by Ricardo

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 14:41:54 PDT

hey phillip,

great topic -- beside ethical standards and morality historicallty being
some ways of one group of human exerting power and influence over another,
what is a standard is a good question.

 Anyway, i've been facing whether some of my "scholarly" work fits human
subjects guidelines -- using activity theory in my own workplace. I won't go
into the reasons why, although mediationally the framework can be very
helpful. The interesting thing is whether my workplace, writ large, being a
university, fits the definition of "Research conducted in established or
commonly accepted educational settings, involving normal educational
practices." and whether "minimal risk" involves the possibility of someone
getting fired (does it matter whether the investigator faces that risk?)

http://www.lesley.edu/policies/catalog/human_subjects.html

--
It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that. -G. H. Hardy

(:^{>