Re: srcd interest?

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 06:09:46 PDT

Mike;
Though certainly a newbie to this theoretical research phenomenon I would
like to share what I wrote yesterday during my 5th attempt to complete the
introduction to my Master's paper.

"Within the sociocultural literature two distinct schools of thought have
evolved that Sawyer (2002) presents as the process ontology debate and the
inseparability debate. The sociocultural researcher that focuses on process
ontology is intersted in the actual interaction and processes involved as a
person is influenced and influences their environment, Jaan valsiner (2001,
1997) wold be considered to be a leading process ontology proponent. Those
sociocultural researchers that study inseparability propose that since the
social and cultural environment intitially influences the person it is not
possible to separate the individual from the context and therefore the entire
milieu must be studied as a unit. Both of these specific and distinct avenues
of thought have their implications for Transition service delivery but it is
the purpose of this paper to focus attention on Valsiner's process ontology
framework due to its ability to both discuss the assessment of predictors for
goal-directed activity in individuals and relate the individual's efforts to
the social environment that the student is expected to achieve the preset
goals."

In my paper I would very much like to discuss the Rogoff, Matusov camp
because they have much to offer the battle against educational dogma but
because of their separation from wanting to discuss individual growth it just
doesn't fit the framework of my paper. On an even more personal note I must
add that it is this tension within the sociocultural literature that provided
me with the greatest difficulty of deciding how to present the kernel of my
paper.

Thank you for your interest,
eric