RE collision: science and politics

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 05:23:17 PDT

Phillip, wow, you are a pilot yourself! I can imagine how involved, as a
real expert, you feel in analysing this collision. Yet my impression is that
you underestimate how much politics and ideology might be involved IN and
AROUND this "wonderful illustration of activity theory" (i would add tragic)
and how much politics and ideology are relevant to CHAT in general.

My bigger point is simply this. That you appear to think that only the
analysis of 'technical' aspects of this collision (how pilots reacted, what
practices of tool mediation were involved etc) is relevant to CHAT, is an
example of seeing tools and practices, and science at large, as politics-
and value- free more than they might be. This incidentally was exactly the
topic of discussion at two symposia in Amsterdam (which i took part in). The
CHAT itself, its history and present perception is 'a wonderful
illustration' of how science is ideology- and value- and politics driven.
That Vygotsky was first taken out of context of his school (Leont'ev and
others who continued this school) had clearly to do with ideological
factors. That Leont'ev' s works, and activity theory, is only now making
inroads into psychology, and we are now discovering it, is the result of
some previous ideological inhibitions, I believe. And the result of changes
in the world itself, in politics and ideologies and values (perhaps as
people feel a need to have an instrument to address the crisis in society
and create change). Moreover, the CHAT itself, as an investigative project
was launched as an ideological investigative project and has ideological
components WITHIN its body (not next to it) and this remains to be analysed
and described.

PS. At a more technical level. As I said, the discrepancy in instructions is
still disputed. I am waiting to hear more about this as investigation
continues. So, the possibility remains that the pilot, having to react to
two conflicting messages and not having a clear instruction of how to
prioritize them, reacted as he did -- this might have had to do with the
stereotype of Swiss quality (=of commands by controller) just as I
described. This is still a possibility, although I understand and respect
you placing present pilot discussions on internet over the statements by
aviation authorities. Then it would illustrate that even the most seemingly
benign and neutral tools, objects and practices embody ideology, values and
stereotypes, leading to tragic consequences if they are disregarded.