Re: culture and novelty

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 11:04:35 PDT

Dear friends,

Just an observation and a slightly different point of view, after
quoting LSV MnFamilyMan@aol.com wrote:

> What I gather from this is that for individual devleopment there is a
> movement from very narrowly defined meanings of words to larger more
> robust definitions that come from experiencing the world.

I don't read LSV as speaking about a movement from narrow definitions to
robust definitions. I read LSV as saying that the ability for a rich
engagement with reality (connoting a use of "concepts" that guide that
engagement) precedes an ability to consciously and articulately express
the concepts employed.

This seems to fall simply in the "learning by doing" arena or perhaps,
better, learning *in* doing, since no causal direction is affirmed (it
is not posited that the doing precedes the concept, only that use of
concepts seems evident in the doing).

I take the narrowness of "the verbal definition" LSV refers to to be
the lack of meta-awareness (metacognition?) of the adolescent and, thus,
his/her ability to express the concept as well verbally. But I don't see
this as a movement from narrow meanings of words to larger, more robust
definitions, but rather as a use of words inadequate to the demonstrated
non-verbal grasp of the concept that perhaps later improves ("catches
up" with the non-verbal grasp) in the succeeding reflection and
analysis. No?

In Peace,
K.