Re: Psychology and Marxism Updates

From: Nate (vygotsky@charter.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 04:56:30 PDT

Alfred,

First, I sense you pondering some sort of inconsistency between Leontev
and Vygotsky / Luria. I could go out on a limb and entertain one,
Leon'tev seemed much more suspicious of a category called "soul". Or
more specifically the whole notion of consciousness that Vygotsky
emphasised, Leontev kind of glossed over.

The quote which I took from Lucien Seve signifies a committment to the
significance of studying the concrete individual. The soul or individual
is not simply a fabrication, or taken as simply a reflection of social
relations, but one had to leave the head so to speak in order to truely
understand it. I think of the Luria genre of biography as in shattered
mind and dude that lost his memory where Luria paints a rich descriptive
picture that far exceeds the brain.

However, I don't think there would be a great wall between the three.
Interestingly; you refer to Luria and Vygotsky as cultural-historical
 (was not Leontev there too) and compare them to Leontev.

--
There is no hope of finding the sources of free action in the lofty realms of the mind or in the depths of the brain. The idealist approach of the phenomenologists is as hopeless as the positive approach of the naturalists. To discover the sources of free action it is necessary to go outside the limits of the organism, not into the intimate sphere of the mind, but into the objective forms of social life; it is necessary to seek the sources of human consciousness and freedom in the social history of humanity. To find the soul it is necessary to lose it.
A.R. Luria

vygotsky@charter.net http://webpages.charter.net/schmolze1/vygotsky/index.html http://marxists.org/subject/psychology/index.htm