culture and novelty

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 13:05:58 PDT

Eric-- You wrote in part:

The emergence of novelty is different then the mediation of behavior only
because I say it is, but if you say it isn't, then it isn't.
eric

----
Here is what I wrote:

> Why, eric, are the emergence of novely and the cultural mediation of > behavior > in conflict with each other. Might it be that you and I think of culture > differently in that the term "influences" is a very tricky one to use for > a medium. > mike -----

My grammar stunk. Periods instead of question marks, but both statements were intended as invitations to contemplate what we are talking about and whether or not we are using terms in the same ways. It goes back to my earlier message about misunderstandings and agreements in response to Phillip's comments on the difficulties of terminology at ISCAR.

I am having a lot of difficulty following the ins and outs of the many threads currently flitting across the xmca screen. mike