Self in activity

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 07:05:58 PDT

mike,

Noticing that more than 50% of the votes for the SIG theme are for "Self in
Activity" I am curious and would like to understand, the theoretical
frontiers/problems of Activity Theory or CHAT that motivate the importance
of this topic. The index of Cultural Psychology doesn't even have an entry
for "self:" but I don't think that is sufficient to make "self"
theoretically important any more than I think the absence of a goal keeper
makes baseball incomplete. It is my feeling that the importance assigned to
"self in activity" has nothing at all to do with AT and everything to do
with the cultural historical background/milieu of those casting their votes.

 If I am wrong about this, I'd sure like someone to point me to the central
problems or the anomolies in Kuhnian terms in CHAT and AT theorizing that
elevate this specific topic to the importance that more than half of the
voting xmca-ites assign it.

Paul H. Dillon