RE: FW: ISCRAT: Epistemic Activity

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 21:16:17 PDT

Nate,

Perhaps I have not helped by using the word 'democratic' unconventionally. I
was trying to get across the ideas of diversity and being beyond
authoritarian control.

1. ORIGINALITY. I wasn't claiming to say anything new. I was trying to
demonstrate a point.

2. THE QUESTION OF IDENTIFICATION. In any event Maori in New Zealand are not
immigrants, we are the immigrants. There has been no point where my people
have felt inclined to change their identification to Maori. Nor have I
noticed that American immigrants have been inclined to change their
identitification to Navajo or Apache. The indigenous peoples of North
America may be ignored in the American analysis, but the indigenous people
of New Zealand most certainly are not in the New Zealand analysis. There was
a period when Maori in New Zealand veered towards changing their
identification to European, but that process was reversed in the 1970's and
is now moving vigorously in the direction of differentiation. That is
precisely why I chose them for my example.

Here is an illustrative story. A friend of mine. Maori. NZ degree in
accountancy. MBA Harvard. By the time he was 40 a senior vice president in a
large American corporation with a house in Connecticut and a holiday home in
Provence. One day his phone rang. It was the kaumatua (chief) of his tribe
in rural New Zealand. "Time you stopped all that stuff, boy, and started
applying your knowledge to the good of your people." He resigned the next
day. He is now managing a tribally owned hotel. So there are many factors
at work when it comes to identification, are there not?

3. WEB PAGES AND TEACHERS AS ANALAGOUS. Your point about web pages and
teachers. One web page is less diverse than one teacher. But teachers are
there through a process of quality control (whether or not we affirm the
basis for determining quality), web pages are not. I have no sure way of
knowing to what extent I can rely on the information the web page presents
to me, or through what cultural filters it has come to be written.

I may, in one year, encounter a dozen teachers (in a high school), all of
whom have been through a similar process of selection and training. In one
evening of surfing the net I may visit a hundred web pages, each one of
which speaks with a different voice whose origins may be unknown to me.
Because the teachers speak to me from a position of articulated authority
while having all sorts of qualities that make me suspicious of them (for
example, their skin colour), while the web page may appear to me to speak to
me with voices that are of my kind, and where the signals that this source
of information needs to be mistrusted are less apparent, and maybe actually
distorted, I am vulnerable to apportioning more credibility to what I get
from the net than what I get from my teacher or from my parents.

For me this is the qualitative difference with the Internet. Mass
communications such as TV and Radio were never so anarchic. They may have
been appropriated by large corporations with dubious objects, but they were
never diverse in their messages from the very beginning. Of course, it is
possible that the web will move that way, but it is difficult to pull off,
and my guess is that it never will.

As for the remediation of meaning (teacher v web page), I do not think that
the web page itself remediates meaning. Social processes with peers
remediate meaning. The web page is analagous to the textbook page. The
basketball hoop is analagous to the classroom, and the dominant member of
the social group is analagous to the teacher. I believe that the teacher,
the classroom and the textbook are less and less privileged in the creation
of meaning, and that they accelerate that process by demanding to continue
as they alwats have.

THE HOMOGENEIFICATION OF KNOWLEDGE. Finally I believe that the phenomena you
describe - dumbed down tests, failing schools stuff, and all those other
awful things that we in New Zealand have largely (but not entirely) escaped
to date (I'm not over optimistic medium term), I interpret as evidence in
support of my case. I read them as the doomed, grotesque and absurd efforts
of educational nostalgia. I believe that I live in a transitional age. I
have no idea whether the destination of the transition will be a happier,
more just world, but I do believe that it will not have in it educational
institutions that look like they do today, and that it will be a world
where the social construction of knowledge will occur in radically different
ways to the ways we are currently familiar with.

Phillip Capper,
Centre for Research on Work, Education and Business Ltd. (WEB Research),
Level 13
114 The Terrace
(PO Box 2855)
WELLINGTON