speakers, motions, discussion, & MORE voting.

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 05:11:25 PDT

For this posting, I'll wear an official hat. Applying a bit of Robert's
rules framework to the interpretation of recent postings, Jay has motioned
and Yrjo has seconded Dorothy Holland as a speaker for AERA Chicago. There
are several issues to discuss to make this happen. In one possibility,
Dorothy may be invited through a symposium proposal, blind reviewed in the
usual way. Depending upon the quality of the proposal and the decisions of
the reviewers, Dorothy and company may or may not present -- there is no
guarantee. A second possibility is to give up one presentation slot for the
sig, and invite Dorothy unconditionally. A third possibility is to allocate
one symposium slot for Dorothy and company (whose membership may be other
identity researchers, yet to be determined).

So -- it is moved and seconded that Dorothy be invited to speak at AERA
Chicago. The question stated to you SIG'ers is this - Given the issues and
the ways that I have briefly outlined in which it can happen (there may be
others), is it the will of the greater CH-SIG body for Dorothy to be invited?
Operationally, the discussion of the question may best serve the SIG if it
results in amendments to the motion as to HOW Dorothy is to be invited --
considering the above options and others that may be forthcoming. Pending
discussion on inviting a speaker, I can set up a voting booth. (The vote on
this question, since there are only two choices, leads to a mathematically
rational outcome.)

And just a reminder that a vote is still in process for the determination of
the SIG THEME. By moving into a discussion of an invited speaker, we are
somewhat in breach of usual procedure -- perhaps to be expected with our
asynchronous medium. I think Lewis Carroll called it being 'snarked'. Since
it is also not obvious in this medium how to determine a quorum, please get
the word out to all folks about this important issue and pending vote(s).

Please Vote for the SIG theme at:
http://chsig.freepolls.com/cgi-bin/polls/001/poll_center.htm