Re: Teaching as improvisation

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 10:28:30 PDT

Keith wrote:

>improvisational.
>Especially with those who are trying to implement sociocultural,
>collaborative
>classroom methods; for them to work the students have to have the freedom
>improvise. And collaborative emergence is a common outcome of
>improvising
>classroom groups.

        there, i think you have it - that the more open/flexible the top-down
organization of teaching is, then more opportunities for bottom-up
emergence are probable.

        a lecturer delivering a lecture to a hall of sixty is less open to
noticing emergence that small group collaborative activities.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white