An example of levels?

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 05:41:42 PDT

In a message dated 6/2/2002 9:55:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
jllbc@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

> In conversational and related sorts of improvisation, I think that there is
> again a bit too much emphasis on the originality of what is emergent. That
> is what tends to privilege the bottom-up aspects. The top-down perspective
> should help us to understand how it happens that people wind up improvising
>
> the same sorts of culturally and historically specific patterns over and
> over again!

Jay;

Let me offer a concrete example of this to see if I understand what you are
saying. In the 'bottom-up' systems level I am an unattached observer not
dedicated to any particular theory or methodology and perhaps my observations
are not in synchronixation with the 'top-level' systems that people in your
position expouse. You being in the 'top-level' position of deciding theories
and methodology can choose to repsond to 'bottom-level' observations or not.
If by chance I could ever construct a post that met your predetermined
'top-level' discourse you would respond to one of my posts, but since I
maintain my 'bottom-level' attitude it is unlikely that I will reach your
level of expertise. So, in your construction of human development it is the
'bottom-level' that needs to synchronize with the 'top-level'?

Please respond!
eric