Re: Two examples of emergence

From: Molly Freeman (mollyfreeman@telis.org)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 23:05:32 PDT

I can't resist.

this is from M. Mitchell Waldrop (1992). Complexity: The Emergng Science
atthe Edge of Order and Chaos. Simon & Schuster, p. 330

The complex approach....is total Taoist. In Taoism there is no inherent
order. ...The universe in Taoism is perceived as vast, amorphous, and
ever-changing. You can never nail it down. the elements always stay the
same, yet they're always rearranging themselves. So it's like a
kaleidoscope: the world is a matter of patterns that change, that partly
repeat, but never quite repeat, that are always new and different.

Molly