expertise

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 17:14:01 PDT

Hi bb--

As you know, i am this low tech nerd who happened to get caught in the web
before anyone knew it was a web so I work on a unix system I don[t
understand and it is so primitive that viruses fly way over my head.

As a result, a lot of messages which others see clearly I do not. When that
happens I switch to be medium tech, very slow, web access version of my
university account. Then I am vulnerable to viruses, but we have a super
computer here and I am very conservative and pay semantec to protect me
against that form of aid*, but i can usually read binhex files from there
and would probably have not prob with whatever iso-8859-1 is.

This time around you have lost your numberical cache which made you up
20 on me and now we are only =.!

As a feeble attempt at a metacomment on this seemingly trivial issue. There
are many people on this discussion list very much more sophisticated about
a lot of things upon whom we can all call. The list is too long to bother
enumerating. Anyone reading can see the multiple expertises in the group.

If we don't valorize (see, i know a pomo word!) this virtue (retro word!)
we are being even dopier than cultural dopes. (No, not that kind of dope).
mike