Re: Empirical implications of a focus on emergence

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 09:35:24 PDT

Dear Keith, Jay, et al,

And mine may be a naive question, but it seems to me that the judgement
of what is "emergent" is left to the researcher, no?

If the researcher is not thoroughly familiar (in a way that may not even
be possible, I suspect) with the semiotic systems in which, for
instance, the participants of an improv group may be immersed, how does
one validate an expression, content, action as "emergent?" (rather than
derivative or conventional I suppose, but those may be the wrong
counterpoints to what is meant by "emergent" in this method).

I'm fairly certain I've obfuscated some fundamental methodological
clarity in my question, which is why I preface with an admission of
naivete. But perhaps the clarification would benefit others as well?

In Peace,
K.