Re: emergence and emergentism

From: Keith Sawyer (ksawyer@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 07:36:37 PDT

(In response to Jay's multiple postings; I'll reply to Mike's request for empirical implications in a separate email.  This one addresses theoretical issues.  I'll try to be brief!)

I was excited to see Jay's postings on these issues, because he has been concerned with issues surrounding complex dynamical systems for many years.  Jay is one of the theorists who really "gets it" about situated microsocial interaction--he was one of the first to comment on "retroactive contextualization" (in his 1982 report), along with Gordon Wells (1981, in Paul Werth, editor); thus I assume that these ideas came out of the Halliday tradition that both Gordon and Jay draw on.  These ideas are absolutely critical to my own conceptualization of how improvisational interaction works, although I developed my theories from Michael Silverstein's work on metapragmatics and indexicality.

Jay has written a lot of interesting stuff about emergence, downward causation, and complex systems; I'll toot his horn and list some references:

Lemke, Jay L. 1991. “Text production and dynamic text semantics.” Pp. 23-38 in Functional and systemic linguistics: Approaches and uses, edited by E. Ventola. New York: Mouton de Gruyter.

Lemke, Jay L. 1995. “Emergent agendas in collaborative activity.” in American Educational Research Association. San Francisco, CA: ERIC number ED386425 .

Lemke, Jay L. 2000. “Material sign processes and emergent ecosocial organization.” Pp. 181-213 in Downward causation: Mind, bodies and matter, edited by P. B. g. Andersen, C. Emmeche, N. O. Finnemann, and P. V. Christiansen. Aarhus, Netherlands: Aarhus University Press.  (Jay recommended this volume in his email; he extends the ideas herein in his 2000 MCA article "Across the scales of time".)

I agree with most of what Jay wrote in his two theoretical postings, although there are some points at which I think he has misunderstood me in ways that makes it seem we have more disagreement than we do; I'll try to clarify some of that.

First of all, Jay associates my two articles primarily with philosophy, and analytic philosophy in particular.  But this misrepresents the articles.  The philosophy that I draw on in "Emergence in psychology" is primarily from the 1920s, long before our current style of academic philosophy became current; and the main reason I cite that work is because of its influence on G. H. Mead and thus on contemporary socioculturalism.  I think that Jay and most XMCAers would consider Mead to be one of the good guys.  And the "Unresolved tensions" article is largely inspired by current issues in sociological theory--one of the sources that Jay cites approvingly--not at all by philosophy.

Like Jay, I have found that the most interesting work on emergence is in sociology and in complex dynamical systems theory, rather than in philosophy.  So I think it's inaccurate for Jay to refer to my definition of emergence as a "philosophical" one.  He would probably be interested in two other forthcoming articles that would make it clear how we agree: "Emergence in sociology" (forthcoming in AJS, 2002) and "Artificial societies," an article about emergence in complex dynamical systems models (forthcoming in SMR, 2003).  These articles are squarely in the nonlinear dynamic systems approach that Jay has cited approvingly in the above articles.

However, I disagree with Jay about the relevance of some philosophical notions--Kim's writings on supervenience have been a major influence on me (although ultimately I disagree with him).  In fact, in this tradition "the event" is the fundamental ontological category, not "the entity," so analytic philosophy is not incompatible with a process approach.  And although I tend to side with contemporary philosophers who emphasize mechanism rather than causal laws (e.g. Mario Bunge), I think that we still need notions of causation and of laws--but that's a debate far removed from XMCA concerns.

In Jay's "separability" posting, he writes that "emergence, at least in its complex systems version, is not a purely bottom-up paradigm"--but that's generally not true.  For most of the complex systems people it is exclusively a bottom-up paradigm, as I show in my paper on "artificial societies."  I disagree with them because I am a realist about higher-level phenomena and I think there is downward causation in social systems (as does Jay).  My philosophical forays have been primarily in the philosophy of mind and the philosophy of social science; Jay seems to have spent more time with philosophers of biology, where the notion of "downward causation" was first explored (the term was coined by Donald Campbell in a discussion of evolution in 1974; and David Hull's influential writings of the early 1970s were anti-reductionist).  But most of that work says little to nothing about "emergence" per se (an exception being Bechtel and Richardson, 1993, in "Discovering complexity").

So although just about everyone agrees emergence is important, there remains much confusion about exactly what it is and how and why it is important.  I think it's wonderful that XMCA has chosen to take on this issue for discussion.

R. Keith Sawyer

http://www.keithsawyer.com/
Assistant Professor
Department of Education