Harriet

From: William E. Blanton (blantonw@miami.edu)
Date: Sat May 25 2002 - 15:36:26 PDT

Harriet

You were around then. Most of you probably missed it for one reason. Like
I said, we were 7th graders. By the time most of us had learned to be
socially interactive, the Padlock Club had moved on and was forgotten. At
least two classes would have graduated by the time we were generally aware
of happening. Others things were about to emerge over the horizon to
capture our attention. Also, I think girls were still "nice" then, meaning
they did not talk about the trash boys talked about. If a girl had known
about the Padlock Club, she would have surely said very little about
it. My recollection is that it carried real unpleasant social stigma.

Burl, the word, stigma, is just for you.

Sue, do you know the name of the dancer at the carnival that said such
erotic things to Similey? I bet Smiley does not remember her name.

Bill Blanton