Re: stability & change / hot and cold

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 18:09:16 PDT

Dear Nate,

If I'm not wrong, sometime ago the discussion on the meaning (and senses) of "appropriation" had emerged in XMCA's posts.
And, since that time it does not "stay clear" to me at all.

I have noticed that there are a great variety (and contexts) of use of the term "appropriation" (in English as in Portuguese). If, in one hand, it can be understood as "take something to a one's own private property", in the other, it is also used to refer to a "right" or "appropriated" social behaviour/action.

Personally, when I use (and read) the term in the context of LV's CH theory, although without closing eyes at all to the last sense pointed above ("nice"="right"), I usually use it in the sense of "taking possession of something", or taking something as "my" own property.

So, to really "take possession" of something implies conscious mental processes. On the other hand, through uncoscious mental processes one can do internalize "appropriate" cultural behaviour and values without really "taking possession" of them. For example, a little boy that likes the color blue because this color is associated to masculinity but is not counscious at all of the arbitrary (cultural) nature of that association (blue=masculinity).

Another thing, completelly different, is a man that, for example, uses "blue" shirts because that color is "appropriate" to males - although, inside him, he does not really like it. Or, yet, that say he likes blue color affraid of people around can put his masculinity "in check" (Are there males who still thinking this way? now-a-days?! :).

In the case of the little boy he had INTERNALIZED a cultural value associated to blue color. In the case of the man, he had APPROPRIATED a specifical cultural sense for the social use of blue color.

Can you understand me better, now?