Re: stability & change / hot and cold

From: Nate Schmolze (v3y3g3o3t3s3k3y@msn.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 16:00:39 PDT

Roicardo,

All kinds of examples would apply. I sort of see appropriation as a
precurser to internalization. Even then I think one could internalize an
aspect of an activity (ability to do this or that action) but not
appropriate (identity) the activity.

Earlier I used the example of a kid with down syndrome which I think
applies. The individual has not/ will not / can not interalize the skills
necessary to read, yet it is important for him to appropriate the "activity
of reading". I usually make a big deal when this particular kid is
"studying" the dictionary, and make comments about needing to study those
words for the spelling test.

I guess I would situate appropriation with externalization to some extent.
But then it could also be the precurser to internalization. A child
appropriating the activity of paper airplane building, but then later
internalizing it on the individual plane (mastery).

On the other hand, I also think a child can internalyze (master) an activity
such as reading, yet not appropriate it. Here appropriation is very
interconnected with identity as in "identity as a reader" or one taking
"ownership for ones learning".

NATE

>From: "Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu" <rjapias@uol.com.br>
>To: <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>