Re: measuring

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 06:13:50 PDT

In a message dated 5/9/2002 10:57:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
mcole@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

> Eric. I simply didn't understand what you were saying or how you
> used the prior discussion to get to the conclusion that
>
> utilizing these separate constructs it
> may be possible to see standardized tests for what they are ( a measure of
> the teachers ability to teach the curriculum) and another measure could be
> used to measure a student's ability to learn.
> mike

Hello Mike;

Please beg my indulgences while I try to synthesize what I am trying to say
regarding measurement. In the past you and I have discussed idiographic and
nomothetic entities involved in the study of psychological phenomena. There
are experimental constructs that focus on one or the other and unfortunately
there are those that do not divide the two and the experiment is invalid
because a researcher will extrapolate data gotten from one onto the framework
of the other. Within the idiographic measure of psychological phenomenon
there is also a separation of interindividual and intraindividual. Normative
tests fall in the category of interindividual. My stream of consciousness
had gotten away from me when I started extrapolating how to interpret
standardized classroom tests and so it is no surprise that my last post to
you was confusing. My interest in measurement lies in the intraindividual
domain as well as the individual-ecological domain. Individual-ecological
measurements would regard the use of a zpd like construct to determine how
well an individual can utilize ecological signs, objects, etc to achieve a
goal.

Theoretically this can make sense and then it is the practice of measuring
QUALITTIVE change in an individual's behavior that interindividual rating
systems are substituted for intraindividual rating systems and environmental
stimulus is mistaken for ecological constraints or promotions. At this point
it is clear that standardized tests fall into the interindividual system of
rating an individual's QUANTITATIVE behavior, as to measuring a teacher's
ability to teach this would require a much more in depth analysis then the
glib response I provided yesterday.

Any of this making sense?
eric