Re: Tower of babel

From: Gary Shank (shank@duq.edu)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 05:49:36 PDT

>I have heard that Jorge Luis Borges, in one of his tales, described the
>"Library of Babel," a huge collection of all possible books. Does anyone
>know which one?

you can find an online translation of the story at

http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia/library_of_babel.html

i go back to borges all the time, because he is always fresh and
surprising. i personally think that the best internet portal to him is

http://www.themodernword.com/borges/

one of my favorite borges books is 'other inquisitions' here is another
translation of one of those inquisitions, the so-called analytical language
of john wilkins

http://www.alamut.com/subj/artiface/language/johnWilkins.html

i once accidently swiped a pen from borges himself, but that is a story for
another time.....

gary
shank@duq.edu