Building Bridges paper

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 07:54:47 PDT

People -- I'd be grateful to get comments on this of several sorts:

    1 -- How does this use of AT look to you?
    2 -- Is it so internal to Chicago that some of the situation is
incomprehensible? It's got a lot of stuff about race/politics, unions (with their
peculiar US structures), the construction industry...
    3 -- Can you actually read it -- the tables, etc.

I've got it broken out into 5 documents: the title and abstact, the paper itself
(UALE is the United Association for Labor Education, where I a draft it in April
along with my co-author Rev. Anthony Haynes); a diagram of the activity systems
we are engaged with (I didn't use triangles -- partly a drafting challenge, partly
not wanting to have to explain what the triangles mean to people who aren't
familiar with them); two appendices, one comparing our current WIA (federal job
training program) programs with union apprenticeship programs and our little math
class; a table of the graduates, with names, sites of churches, and race/marital
status either disguised or blanked out.

Thanks -- let me know if it doesn't come through.

Helena Worthen