Vs: academic refresher course...

From: Merja Helle (merja.helle@helsinki.fi)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 03:09:05 PDT

Diane
here are a couple of references

Czarniawska, Barbara (1997) Narrating the organization. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press
Czarniawska, Barbara (1997) On the imperative and impossibility of the polyphony in organizational studies. Paper presesented in Leuwen, Belgium June 1997

my notes are from the presentation, which was based on her new book
my notes:
she look at some examples of how the tower of babel has been used/explained and writes that
linguistics look for universal language, scientist look for the perfect one ....management and org. theory base their legitimacy on telling the truly universal story of organizing. she disagrees and suggest analysis of polyphony. she suggests one solution is bahtin's notion of variegated speech, so that different dialects are produced by the author and she aims at drawing attention to the multiplicity of voices in the contemporary world.
-translation is linguistic innovationshe uses translation in the latourian(1986) way, meaning both transition and tranformation
she cites byatt (novel about the tower of babel) and stephenson (snow crash): a dream of a perfect language is a totalitarian nightmare. eco (1995) points to another explanation of babel: a fantastic technological achievement . reminds that already dante suggested that the linguistic conflict was, in fact, a professional or occupational conflict
she emphasizes that we are in the market for meanings, and there are power positions inside it.
she cites rorty (1991, p.209) who uses the metaphor of the bazaar, instead of a gentleman's club. all the clubs have a common interest of maintaining the instituiton of a bazaar. "the language of the clubs are indeed incompatible but the practise of haggling makes translation an everyday bussiness."

best merja

Merja Helle
Center for Activity Theory and Developmental Work Reserch
University of Helsinki, Finland
email:merja.helle@helsinki.fi
phone +358 41 4485 111
address:
Box 47, 00140 University of Helsinki
"You'll never know the facts, before you know the fiction"