Re: The "individual" in socioculturalism

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 20:58:51 PDT

In a message dated 4/30/2002 4:56:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
ksawyer@artsci.wustl.edu writes:

> The implications are that sometimes the psychological analysis will be the
> best one, and will then inform our understanding of the sociocultural
> level; not always the other way around.

Keith;

I would like to indicate that Vygotsky's writing regarding Individual's
disabilities as being the starting point for understanding how it comes to be
understood that people in general have abilities. For if in fact we do not
use individual achievement (or lack thereof) as the way to comprehend
activity then the socio aspect of study becomes the standardized norm upon
which all decisions regarding competencties are made. Theorists are right to
say that communities of practice exist but unless an individual's sequences
are analyzed then the sum will always fall to the lowest common denominator.
As people we all know that in certain situations all it take is one
individual's effort to change the atmosphere of the whole group. Maybe a
good way of looking at it is that by starting at the individual level
theorist maybe can can gain insight into the sequence in the dynamics of the
socio.

not musing this time, only rambling
eric