Re: The "individual" in socioculturalism

From: Nate Schmolze (v3y3g3o3t3s3k3y@msn.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 16:53:52 PDT

So, would it be right to see emergentism as a "constructivism" or "social
constructivism"? It would appear so with your Cobb references. Last time I
read him he had a difficult time acknowledging anything social larger than a
small group.

Initially, I was responding to what I saw as contrasting the psychological
to the social, but here you seem to characterize them more as "levels of
analysis". This makes sense to me, if that was where you were going. I think
explaining the social factors of psychological functioning is an area that
needs to be addressed. However; I am not entirely clear how an "emergentism"
would address this issue.

In general though I don't see the major problem of socioculturalism as the
denial of the individual. As far as analytics go most pieces of social
culturalism centrates on the individual to a great extent. Socioculturlist
by definition (mine) is the relationship between individual and
culture/context etc. Analytically, its deficit is not going into greater
detail with other aspects of activity.

I guess what I'm saying is that I first don't see inseperability as a
problem in sociocultural research. I guess I would be interested in the
"degrees of seperability" since I'm not entirely clear what it would be.

My two cents

nate

nAtE

vygotsky@charter.net