Re: remarkable coincidences

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 16:44:59 PDT

> I have always heard that Vygotsky knew the work of Dewey and that in some
> way Dewey's ides have had an influence on him.
> But did you know that Dewey had some links to Moscow himself??
> I read in the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy that:
> "Dewey's retirement from active teaching in 1930 did not curtail his
> activity either as a public figure or productive philosopher. Of special
> note in his public life was his participation in the Commission of Inquiry
> into the Charges Against Leon Trotsky at the Moscow Trial, which exposed
> Stalin's political machinations behind the Moscow trials of the mid-1930s"
> The time (mid thirties) is right, the location is right. Did Dewey ever go
> to Moscow??

The location is wrong: the Dewey Commission took place in Mexico where
Trotsky was exiled in 1937. Trotsky had been forced to leave the USSR in
1929.

Connections - intellectual or personal - between Vygotsky and Trotsky:
there's a theme I think worth investigating. How about Trotsky as the
activity theorist of revolutionary politics? Or Vygotsky's original
introduction to 'Educational Psychology'?

Bruce Robinson

Who did Dewey know among the Moscow circle Psychologists and