Vygotsky and Dewey

From: Keith Sawyer (ksawyer@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 15:32:26 PDT

Ana wrote:

>I have always heard that Vygotsky knew the work of Dewey and that in some
>way Dewey's ides have had an influence on him.
>But did you know that Dewey had some links to Moscow himself??

For an argument that Dewey met Vygotsky when he was in Moscow, see: Richard
S. Prawat, "Dewey meets the 'Mozart of psychology' in Moscow: The untold
story", AERJ, 2000, 37(3) 663-696.

Jim Wertsch, however, has told me he personally thinks it unlikely that
Dewey and Vygotsky met, and that in any case the evidence is quite thin.

R. Keith Sawyer

http://www.keithsawyer.com/
Assistant Professor
Department of Education