Sawyer's perspective on socioculturalism

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 14:28:22 PST

Very few papers had turned my lights on like Sawyer's.
He speaks about an approach to human psychecism in an ongoing process of co-construction... Live science - not a dead one.

Read it made me think on how things are changeable along time and how knowledge is an endless process - with qualitative jumps, backwards movements etc.

Congratulations to professor K. Sawyer for pointing to the king and crying loudly he's naked!

But I, personaly, feel the need of Rogoff's and Matusov's answer to him... Like if someone had given me just a little piece of a tasteful cake...

Nevertheless, to me, it is still unconfortable the use of the expression "individual" in socioculturalism terms... If it is possible for someone to read the text using the word "subject", in place of "individual", maybe some questions posed by professor Sawyer would sound strange, because the "analytical dualism" could be understood on its pedagogical scope - heuristical dimension, I'd say - and so the "process ontogeny" could be seen as a kind of its necessary synthesis...

Ricardo