Re: garbled history

From: King Beach (kdbeach@pilot.msu.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 16:52:25 PDT

I agree with Mike and Jim on this. Prawat assumes that given shared
geography and timing, Dewey and Vygotsky must have met when Dewey
visited Russia, but he has found no direct evidence of such a
meeting, nor, if there was such a meeting, that they influenced each
other. I have argued with Dick, who is a colleague here, that some
broader interpretations of CHAT seem to be run through a filter of
American pragmatism (Dewey, Mead, and perhaps James) but that this
influence is mediated by others and has taken place after the
originating parties were long gone.

--King

>The entire issue of Dewey, Vygotsky, Russia, etc is horribly garbled.
>Prawat is a fine scholar, but his imagining as about dewey and vygotsky
>meeting are neither necessary nor plausible.
>
>Bruce-- On the other hand, it is well documetned that Dewey went to the
>USSR.
>
>All-- Tread cautiously on disputed, twisted, and contentious historical
>narratives. (This caution applies not only to the case at hand, as we
>have been properly warned by reminders of memory of the turkish
>extermination of Armenians-- also, I am sure, a contentious "truth."
>mike

King Beach

Transitions Research Group (TRG) Office: 441 Erickson Hall Program in Learning, Technology, and Culture Voice: 517-355-6684 College of Education Fax: 517-353-6393 Michigan State University Email: kdbeach@msu.edu East Lansing, Michigan 48824 USA Web: www.msu.edu/user/kdbeach/