Re: remarkable coincidences

From: Ana Marjanovic Shane (anashane@speakeasy.net)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 20:21:36 PDT

Keith,
I once worked in an Institute for the study of Byzantine history
(Byzantology). One of my jobs was to type words (in Greek) on cards and
file them into a huge filing system (this was a pre computer era - all was
done by hand and paper). I was supplied by the lists of words, each on a
separate card, with the title of the book in which it was found (and all
the pages it appeared on). As you can guess, this was a true indexing job.
But I recall that, because the students who worked in the Institute were
systematically reading old texts, for years. They read those books from the
middle ages in various languages, all regarding the Eastern Empire -
Byzant, and they were indexing these texts for EACH word they found there.
The entries for each word contained incredible quantity of page numbers and
book titles of different books published at different times, even centuries.
This was a real archeology of words. I was on of the guys digging out a
pyramid with a toothbrush!
But I assume that this kind of work has been done in other philological
areas, too.
It is true that words without their contexts don't carry a lot of meaning,
but just the fact that you can follow them throughout centuries and through
different books - is already a way to trace some of their historical paths.

Another, similar work - indexing words of a "complete" language (at least
the written and published and preserved, I guess), over a specific period
of time, is an index of the Serbian language from the middle ages. It is
now on the Internet - but I'd have to dig out it's URL to give it to anyone
who would want to look it up.

Maybe we should look into these philological indexes, too.
What do you think?

Ana