fascinating stuff

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 12:00:26 PDT

Hi Ellice--

Carl has an interesting article on relgious thinking in a book he edited
with Paul Harris and another fellow called *Imagining the impossible*. I
spent a couple of hours with the book yesterday and it is FULL of
interesting work.

In my mind, I relate it to the ideas about fixed images and cognition
among the blind deaf that Carl Levitin and I wrote a little about (om
my web page). That is, by NECESSITY we live in a world that must be
imagined to be experienced, and the idea of religious thinking as
involving imagining the impossible (in particular ways the authors go
into in various ways) made good company last evening.

By coincidence (?) Alexander Luria said that *Varietis of religious
experience* was the single most influential book on his early thinking
as a psychologist.

Such coincidences always make me stop and wonder.

Anyway, thanks again for the tip.
mike