Re: enculturation/instruction

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 19:18:40 PST

In a message dated 2/22/2002 7:56:23 PM Central Standard Time, dkirsh@lsu.edu
writes:

> Eric,
> Your idea that
>
> "achievement of success in a goal oriented activity system can only be
> measured by the person achieving the success. Therefore, the student can
> truely only be the measure of what is successful in the classroom"
>
> is misguided. Yes, the locus for analysis of the success of instruction is
> the student. But this is not the same as saying that the student's
> judgments are all that are relevant. Students may participate in "a goal
> oriented activity system" with little understanding of the goals and
> intentions of the teacher who has designed that activity system. It is
> teachers who need to (and fortunately do) make continual judgments about
> the success of their instructional practices.

David,
Thank you for clarifying that there is an acceptable method of teacher
measured success. This said, I would like your thoughts concerning how it is
we decide what is success and what falls short.
I would surmise that not only is success very similar to failure in most
cases but also the method for distinguishing the two is too squarely on the
shoulders of the teacher to be an acceptable assessment of ability.
Your use of standards as measures of success is timely and helpful but still
I see too much policy and not enough method.
Your time is greatly appreciated,
Eric