Re(2): Re(2): History

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 08:43:30 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
David scrobe:

>This doesn't mean that I'm not also interested in pursuing broad
>theoretical overviews and perspectives on learning. But I'm not convinced
>these metaphors provide a suitable grounding for theoretical syntheses. In
>particular, I'm not sure that each occupies a distinct level from which to
>think about problems of emergence and reduction. (See Keith Sawyer's brief
>but insightful analysis of constructivism and sociocultural theory in his
>article in the latest issue of Human Development.)

        been thinking about this near continuously for several days now -
        reflecting on:
        habituation, conceptual construction and enculturation -

        in what i'm thinking here, i consider an enculturation theory as CHAT.

        yes - agreed these metaphors don't synthesize well with one another -

        doesn't enculturation explain the activity of habituation - incremental
rote learning - but habituation can't explain enculturation?

        doesn't enculturation explain constructivism - problemsolving - but
constructivism can't explain enculturation?

        which then leads me to the explanation that habituation and
constructivism are learning activities within the larger theory of
enculturation?

        rather like newtonian physics can explain movement, trajectory, gravity,
etc., but not ecological systems? yet, newtonian physics is embeded
within ecological systems?

        does this make any sense?

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white