RE: RE: History and awareness

From: Ana Marjanovic Shane (anashane@speakeasy.net)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 11:22:11 PST

Anna,
  you said
"... my point has always been that systems never change on their
own, it is people who create change (as collective subjects, Paul Dillon is
right, of course), albeit without being aware of the significance and
ramifications of their actions. See?"

You are right. But I think that saying "people" is putting everyone into
the same category. I think that in every situation there are people who
"know more" and those that "know less". Those who "know less" may do thing
which affect a future historical change but at the same time do them
without knowing what effects will they cause. But those who "know more" -
either by the virtue of their position in the activity system, or by
chance, or by spying etc, they may have a better insight into the effects
of their and other people's actions. I am sure (as we are all) that there
were people who KNEW about the imminent collapse of Enron long before it
really happened and who profited from it or who were forbidden to say
anything about it etc.
My point is that in many situations (not all of them for sure) people
differ in the ability to have a complete oversight of all the important
facts about the activity system they are a part of. "Ability" is here not
as a psychological capacity but just as a reflection of their social and
temporal position.
Thus, I am sure that SOME people on the former Soviet Union were in a
better position to know what was going to happen, than other people.
Similarly with Enron. And similarly today there are people who are in a
better position to say if Enron's case will cause a greater disturbance in
the social order or not. So some people might not be aware of the
significance and ramifications of their actions (relatively to some but not
all domains of their actions) and some people might be well aware of them
(but not maybe of some other).

Ana