Re(2): History

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 15:03:06 PST

Bill Blanton writes:

>My question is: Can the subject be the collective community and also
>various combinations of participants in the community?

in Susan Krieger's "The Mirror Dance" the subject of her study (a women's
group in michigan) is both of the collective community, and of individual
participants. it depends upon the positionality that she takes - and i
think that this is fairly common with researchers who use an ethnographic
methods of research. often the community and the participants are
interwoven - and in fact, Krieger also places herself as the subject.

i'm still wondering about David's trilogy of a crossdisciplinary framework
 - habituation, conceptual construction, and enculturation.

no problem with habituation. that's a core metaphor for much of
elementary school (an observation, not admiration). i keep on struggling
to look at conceptual construction and then enculturation. it almost
seems as if there's a hierarchical progression here - rote memory,
application to problemsolving, systhesis and transformation. yet, i'm
sure i'm mistaken that David intended this. i wondering if Ana's
observation, that the position of where learning occurs within the theory
is a contradiction between the two theories. after all, one can
understand rote memory through the lens of CHAT - and one can understand
constructivism through the lens of CHAT.

        so my question is: Can piagetian constructivism through its theoretical
lens understand CHAT?

i'm struggling here.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white