RE: History

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 13:43:11 PST

My understanding is that we do not fragment the elements of an AS. The
system as a whole is historically condiditioned, but the historical
conditions that are brought to bear on the system that we observe in the
present have come together down multiple historical tracks. Much of what
occurs within the system is a product of the tensions and contradictions
that might exist between those tracks and how they impact on the
ethnographically observable actions that take place within the system. The
history of the system and its various components is therefore not only a
desirable, but an essential, subject of analysis when working with the
system.

Words, guns, mountains, kidneys, individuals events and actions are not
historical only if they have significance, but whether or not they have
significance is historical. If I visit the New Zealand province of Taranaki
to work with a school entirely populated by teachers and students of
European descent, then the looming presence of the 8200 foot conical
volcano, Mount Taranaki, outside the window is of little direct relevance to
the AS I am working with. But if that school has in it people of Maori
descent, then that mountain; its mythic history; its symbolic historical
function in determining tribal identity; and its history of disputed
ownership between tribe, European farmer and the state, are all absolutely
fundamental to everything that happens, the relationships that exist, the
sense of personal identity, and the ways in which the social world is
understood within the school.

As for words - yes, indeed. I use the word 'tribe' in the example above so
that you know to what I refer. It actually takes an effort of conscious will
for me to write it. If I were to use the word 'tribe' in using that example
with a New Zealand audience, then I would immediately identify myself with a
totally unacceptable colonial political tradition, and I would find myself
marginalised and excluded from any AS that needed to function within a
bi-cultural New Zealand context.

If I were indeed talking to an NZ audience, I would need to use the word
iwi. This is a Maori word, which essentially means 'tribe', but which has
now been appropriated by New Zealand English to be indicative of the
partnership of equals that the New Zealand state and iwi now aspire to.
The history of these words have no significance for you, but they do for us.
If you come with me to a New Zealand school or political event, and you do
not understand the historical significance of those words, then you have
missed a fundamental component of the AS that you are observing.

Phillip Capper,
Centre for Research on Work, Education and Business Ltd. (WEB Research),
Level 9
142 Featherston Street
(PO Box 2855)
WELLINGTON