genetic domains

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 20:12:27 PST

Don-- The term used by Vygotsky and Wertsch is "genetic domains" of which
phylogenesis, the cultural-history, ontogeny, and microgenesis are the
conventional demarcations. Yrjo would add the history of particular
acitivty systems. I might want to say that this is a part of cultural-
historical genesis.

I have been known to refer to culture as "history in the present."

What "history" probably does NOT refer to when we move form genetic
domains to phylogeneis, ontogenesis, etc. is ontogenesis, but with the
right qualifiers, it would.

Genesis, of course, invites the notion of development and telos, which is
why Jim Wertsch prefers socio-cultural studies to cultural-historical
psychology.

Refs on request.
mike