two new articles

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 14:52:36 PST

Folks-- thanks to peggy and linda here at LCHC, a new paper from MCA
("History and competing themes in a gender creating culture" and David
Kirshner's upcoming paper) are at the xmca website for reading and
discussion.

Thanks David for the tutorial on incommesurability. I have Anna
's paper and will re-read, having obviously failed to assimilate it
(or would that be appropriate it!).

Concerning appropriation. In addition to language which avoids
copy theories of internalization and which was introduced by Leontiev
and used by Newman et al to suggest a process involving culturally mediated
processes, the term has a nice relationship to "appropriate" in the sense
of "appropriate ways of behaving." This relationship suggests a link
to "passing and management" and the idea that learning a cultural is learning
how to behavior appropriately. I am sure that are an equal number of downsides
to the term, but there you have my .2cent reason for liking itl
mike