call for proposals AAA panel "Visual Manifestations of Knowledge"

From: Judy Diamondstone (judith.diamondstone@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 14:24:01 PST

A panel proposed for the American Anthropology Association needs 1 or 2 more
papers.

Committee 10: Culture, Ecology and Education. "Visual Manifestations of
Knowledge: From Indigenous Art to the Internet."

Cultural analysis in both anthropology and education has been dominated
by textual frameworks. Visual frameworks also suffer from reduction to
icons or symbols. By focusing on visualizations as situated
Manifestations of Knowledge we offer alternatives to textual reduction.

The AAA theme and call for papers is appended below. If interested in
"visual manifestations," contact Ron Eglash [eglash@rpi.edu]

(Un)Imaginable Futures:
Anthropology Faces the Next 100 Years
Call for Papers
101st Annual Meeting / November 20-24, 2002
New Orleans, LA

Donald Brenneis, AAA President
Deborah Heath, 2002 Executive Program Chair

As we enter the centenary year of the American Anthropological
Association, the theme for the 2002 Annual Meeting looks ahead to
anthropology's engagement with the next 100 years. On behalf of the
Executive Program Committee, AAA President Don Brenneis and Executive
Program Chair Deborah Heath invite lively, wide-ranging responses from
prospective session chairs and panelists as we shape the program for
this year's AAA Annual Meeting in New Orleans.

The Annual Meeting's title, "(Un)Imaginable Futures," is intended to
convey a double valence appropriate to both the perils and the
possibilities of the present historical moment-and of earlier times of
transformation. We anticipate sessions on a broad array of topics
ranging from violence, warfare, surveillance and human rights discourses
to the global commodity flows that link technoscience both to expressive
forms and to future markets. We welcome historical and comparative
perspectives on futurism, modernism, anti-modernism, cosmopolitanism and
fundamentalism.

We envision sessions that examine emergent forms of power, knowledge and
life along with their attendant alliances and dislocations. Up for
consideration are technical interventions such as engineered organs and
organisms that modify life forms and contest conventional conceptions of
life, death and the human body. Also at issue are the political-economic
consequences of unequal access and distribution of technological
innovations both past and present.

AAA members registered for the 2002 Annual Meeting will have the
opportunity to attend sessions on the "digital divide" hosted by the
National Communication Association, which will be meeting in New Orleans
at the same time we are. Other opportunities for exchange between the
two associations are being explored.

We also encourage events that spur healthy dialogue on the future(s) of
anthropology, and on the prospects for and limits to inter- or
post-disciplinary inquiry, and engagement across subfields within
anthropology. As in years past, sessions that include interlocutors from
other disciplines or panelists from a range of subfields are most
welcome. Prospective session organizers are encouraged to consider
submissions for roundtables, workshops and poster sessions, as well as
conventional panels. We look forward to seeing you in New Orleans.

Comments and queries may be sent to Deborah Heath, Dept of Sociology and
Anthropology, Lewis and Clark C, Portland, OR 97219; heath@lclark.edu;
or to any of the 2002 Section Program Chairs.