tensions and speech events

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 18:33:52 PST

VERY interesting notes, Rosa and BB. I'll have to spend some time thinking
about what you have written to respond thoughtfully and appropriately. Bill,
you have me thinking about what kind of tensions do not lead to transformations
and what kind do, and Rosa you have me thinking about the choices people make
to participate and, believe it or not, just coming back from the movies, the
relations to nash equilibria, and prior work with Eva. Too much at once. Now
that's the kind of xmca I signed up for!

OQ: I'm wondering Rosa, about the definition of "speech event" over time. How
does one bound, how does one mark the beginnings and endings of such a thing?
How does one mark it on a discussion list? (I'm a genuine newbie to linguistics)