Back to Helena Worthen's mail

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 14:29:15 PST

Thank you, Vera, for sharing this information and this lesson about your own
political ordeal, and what a lesson this is. Yes, Vygotsky's heritage is
politically charged, very much so. Interestingly, I believe, its political
connotations change as the world around us keeps changing. What Mike wrote
about his experiences in Russia back in the 80s oddly brought me back to
Helena Worthen's earlier "what's going on here" mail that went seemingly
unnoticed or, at least, unanswered on this list. Here how I think the
different trends in Vera's, Mike's and Helena's postings are interrelated, a
view again back from the 80s in Moscow.

What is most amazing about the early 80s in Russia is how little people were
aware that they were on the edge of huge seismic changes that were about to
hit them. Sure, the political struggles went on on many academic fronts,
often taking bizarre and paranoic forms difficult to decipher to those not
immediately involved. The party apparatchiks were still influential, and as
we then thought, very much not impotent (I know first hand how easy it was
for them to ban one from travel). Their impotence is only clear in the
hindsight, when we look back at what so amazingly quickly happened to all of
these forms of control and forms of government as they were swept away in a
short period of time.

The system in the USSR itself seemed very stable and versatile to us back in
the early 80s; it existed for so long and there were so little clear
indications that it would ever crumble. Sure, there were problems, such as
an economic slow-down (what is called a recession in other countries), there
was a war with Afghanistan going on, and also a general disenchantment with
the political system, including its election system. First and foremost,
however, there was a problem with the corruption in the government (= party)
when few privileged people were able to misuse common resources for their
own benefit, creating a class of few rich and powerful (mostly apparatchiks)
and masses of underprivileged impoverished people with no access to power.
And there was clearly a lack of open discussions about these problems in the
society.

People did not think in terms of big changes, and yet these changes were
taking place, in tacit forms that became clear only in the hindsight. I
vividly remember that we thought about the Soviet regime as being a rogue
and corrupted one and our biggest fear was that, in case it was threatened
and for its own survival, the regime would do anything, especially wage more
and more wars just to keep itself in place. Somehow, luckily, this did not
happen and the country went through a peaceful though very painful
transformation that is still in progress but at least has taken clear hold
by now.

So, basically, my question is how is it that people can be so myopic to huge
tectonic shifts in the world around them? What does it take to see that the
world is crumbling? After all people themselves create societal changes,
they are the actors, not puppets in the process, so how is it that they are
often not aware of this role of theirs? Is it that we rather do not WANT to
see what is about to happen? Thank you, Helena, for bringing a larger
context - that gives rise to our motives and goals and also shapes the ways
we interact with each other also on this list - to the fore.

Anna Stetsenko