Piaget's marbles

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 16:13:15 PST

Hi Mary-

The marbles comment was intended as a joke that reinforced the quote you
gave in another context. In P's theory females are slow to develop in a lot,
maybe all, domains. He gives marbles as an example. But he does the same
thing with morality, formal operations, etc. I have been able to find only
one empirical study of gender differences in playing marbles-- a study
conducted in Spain. No differences found (cites in cole and cole, dev of
children).

I am finding myself reading both lave and lave and wenger at once and in
patches. A different kind of not-with-the-grain reading. Your use of the
term culture reminded me that the term is used almost not at all in
Situated Learning (and in contexts that signal disapproval) and there is
only one entry in Wenger's book, again, disapproving. Subjectivity is
mentioned one as a kind of theorizing by Wenger and not at all in L&W.

Yet Lave, in the books edited with Holland, uses both culture and
subjectivity, while Wenger enters the business world as cop-guru and cop
becomes an instrument instead of an object. Some complex trajectories
of ideas here that have me baffled.
mike