Re: wrong cop?

From: Mary Bryson (brys@unixg.ubc.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 15:19:57 PST

On 1/20/02 1:40 PM, "Mike Cole" <mcole@weber.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> PS-- What is the full citation to the Piaget quote? Do you think he lost his
> marbles
> too?

Like most, I think Piagetıs was a(nother) ³Be like me!² reification posing
as a
theory of normative development. And for someone who only ever went on one
of two walks, and took a little longer on one than the other cuz the
distance was shorter, and Piaget wanted boh walks to last exactly the same
length of time, I am not sure he ever had a full set of marbles.
Here is the reference. I donıt have the book, so I donıt have the page #.

The child has no powers of reflection - no second-order thoughts which deal
critically with his (sic) own thinkingŠIn contrast, the adolescent is able
to analyze his own thinking and construct theoriesŠOf course, the girls are
more interested in marriage, but the husband they dream of is most often
³theoretical², and their thoughts about married life as well take on the
characteristics of ³theories².
Jean Piaget (1958) The growth of logical thinking from childhood to
adolescence