Re: impenetrable communities

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 11:18:21 PST

In a message dated 1/18/2002 11:56:27 PM Central Standard Time,
wbarowy@yahoo.com writes:

> But that is perhaps simultaneously the strength
> and weakness of CoP -- that "practice" is the sole category, that it is of
> primary importance?

Bill,

As i have stated before, instead of searching for the meaning within articles
regarding community of practice we should be addressing what Scribner wrote
about the psychology of practice. One article in particular appears in The
October, 1992 LCHC newsletter. This is the volume dedicated and devoted to
her work. On page 104, she writes, "At the conclusion of the Vai reserach, I
put forward a conceptual framework to integrate these cross-cultural studies
and guide future researhc on culture-based skill systems. I call this a
practice framework of cognition. You may recognize it as bearing some
resemblance to activity theory in Societ Psychology. My version is not a
formal theory but a set of coherent constructs which may be helpful in
rethinking the relationship between mental skills and culturally-organized
activities."

This concept of practice provides a construct for understanding how people
formulate consciousness, something I believe provides insight into the
individual mental function of zone of proximal development.

Still enjoying the snow and sunshine,
Eric