Re: The theory and practice of putting names to the faces of xmca

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 07:41:50 PST

HI Bruce, everyone,

The project has gone in a completely unexpected direction from when i began.
It started with grabbing some images off people's sites that were already "out
there" on the internet with names attached. One means to consolidate them
would have been to set up a pointer to each original image -- but this made
controlling the format of each difficult (essentially adjusting the width to
150 pixels), and would incur the continuous labor of fixing urls that change (I
do enough of url repair on the sites supporting my courses as it is).

It was more of a gut feeling than anything to put up faces with no names. A
little suspense can be intriguing. From the private and public responses, there
seems a significant interest in knowing who is who, in mapping names to faces.
And I empathize with this as one reason I started. Being unable to sleep with
a terrible headcold was another.

I agree that having the additional information of what someone looks like makes
it easier to communicate with a richer and warmer human sentiment -- and it
makes more difficult the imagining of enemies and demons when writing becomes
dissonant. The slim affordances of text-only email contributes to a narrow
synomorph, that in my eyes has become predictable, as captured in image 40. I
hope that we can move forward with what has been started.

And if anyone wishes their photo removed, all that is necessary is to ask. It
will be done. Some folks have asked to make replacements and that is easy too.

=====
Bill Barowy

"Everything is a becoming, without beginning or end"